The Chicago National League Ball Club

An objective look at the love of my life--the Chicago Cubs.

2.03.2005

My Inaugural Post


The newest Chicago Cub

I need a place to sound off on my Chicago Cubs, so this will be the place from now on. It probably won't be updated as often as my other blog, but I will do my best to comment on the drama that is the Cubbies.

Today marked the end of an era...Sammy Sosa is no longer a Chicago Cub. I blogged about this before, so I don't feel the need to do it again. Goodbye Sammy.

The newest Cubs are Jerry Hairston and Jeromy Burnitz. Obviously, Hairston is not a surprise because we've known for almost a week that he'd be the main player in the Sosa trade. But Burnitz is a little weird...

I'll try to be positive here. Burnitz is left handed, a solid defensive player, and a better teammate than Sosa. I don't quite understand why he was signed though. He's not young and his numbers from 2004 were inflated from playing his home games in Coors Field.

If Burnitz is our big acquisition, I am not impressed. But if he is just the second in a series of moves (Sosa being the first) and Jim Hendry has more up his sleeve I can live with that. The outfield is getting crowded as it is, so I'm wondering how that situation will be resolved.

I will say that I will be very skeptical going into Opening Day with an outfield of Hairston, Corey Patterson, and Burnitz. Hairston is a nice little player but often gets hurt. Patterson is young and very talented, but inconsistent. And Burnitz is getting long in the tooth.

Let the drama begin.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Name:
Location: United States